Foundation Certificate in Counselling & Psychotherapy
“The first Step to a Career in Counselling and Psychotherapy”
Next intake: February 15th, 2014.
Dates: Feb 15/16, Mar 15/16, Apr 5/6, 26/27, May 10/11, 24/25, June 7/8, 21/22.
Suitable for anyone interested in one or more of the following:
- Personal development work.
- Pursuing a career as a counsellor or psychotherapist.
- Developing counselling skills.
- Increasing your employment opportunities in areas where
counselling skills are essential or an advantage.
- Independent guidance to a career in psychotherapy.
Whether you are in transition, at a crossroads, or considering a new career direction the GCS Foundation certificate programme will help support you in gaining the confidence to take the next step. The foundation is an access course that prepares you for entry to further professional training. This intensive programme runs over 8 weekends (Sat. & Sun.) monthly and provides the essential first step for a career in Counselling, Psychotherapy and Psychology in meeting the entry requirements of the relevant recognised professional training programmes. A foundation course is an essential prerequisite for entry to IACP recognised courses and masters in counselling, psychotherapy and counselling psychology programmes at the established reputable universities in Ireland and UK. The GCS Foundation course is accepted and highly regarded by the established Colleges and Institutes throughout Ireland for acceptance to professional training programmes. Now in its 18th year, the GCS Foundation course holds a solid reputation for offering a unique and exciting independent foundation in providing a creative experiential training approach facilitated by experienced and qualified trainers and accredited psychotherapists. Contact with previous or present students can be arranged on request. To see where graduates proceed onto click here.
Course Content Course Ethos
Person Centred Therapy
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Advantages of enrolling on the GCS Foundation:
1. Weekend based with 100 hours tutor contact time (minimum required for entry to IACP & IAHIP recognised professional training programmes).
2. High level of ongoing personal development work. Insufficient personal development is the commonest reason for failing to gain entry to professional training.
2. Minimum of four accredited and experienced Facilitators.
3. Expert independent guidance regarding your suitability for this field and assistance to gain entry to the established professionally recognised courses with the highest standard of training. We have over 18yrs of feedback from students on their experience of the various training programmes available.
4. Theoretical learning, skills and personal development run in conjunction throughout the eight weekends as is best practice in counselling and psychotherapy training.
5. Access to library books and web resources.
On completing the course you'll join previous participants in gaining entry to IACP recognised Diploma, BA, Masters or Doctorate programmes in counselling, psychotherapy, or psychology. Past students now work in universities, health boards, prisons, addiction centres, schools, paid voluntary centres and in private practice. A certificate, awarded by GCS, is given on satisfactory completion of all course assignments, participation in self/peer feedback and 88% minimum attendance. Listen to the course director, Norman Warden, discussing the course on Radio Connemara here.
A willingness to engage in a process of self awareness, self challenge and openness to feedback from others. To be in a position to attend all course weekends.
The Connemara Coast Hotel, Furbo, Co. Galway is 10 minutes from Galway city and has a spectacular view of Galway bay and the Burren. Furbo has a beach, attractive walks and a labyrinth. Special rates are available at the hotel for GCS students.
Application procedure and Payment
Complete the online application form: Apply Online Now. The Course fee is €1450 and may be paid by cheque, bank draft, postal order, direct debit, cash, or Paypal. N.B. Please note that all Fees paid are non returnable and non transferable.